Travel Trouble: I-25 Shutdowns Scheduled for the Next Two Weekends
'You can't get there from here, Sir' is the phrase that pays for travelers along I-25 for two weekends, as they need to take down a bridge to make the interstate wider.
Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and their huge I-25 North Express Lanes Project is getting ready to close down Kechter Road for seven months, to tear down and replace the bridge that goes across the interstate.
With that, they need to divert traffic away from the bridge area while they demolish it. They'll be doing so for extended hours on back-to-back weekends, October 1,2,3, and October 8, 9, and 10.
WEEKEND ONE [October 1, 2, 3]
- Northbound I-25 will see a full closure from 9 a.m on Oct. 1, until 5 a.m. on Oct. 2, and again at 9 p.m. on Oct 2 until 5 a.m. on Oct 3.
- The closure will begin at the Highway 392 exit and go to the Harmony Road exit.
- One southbound lane of I-25 will be closed as well from Harmony to Highway 392.
- The detour will have northbound travelers go east through Windsor to Highway 257, and then head north to Harmony Road, and then west to the interate.
WEEKEND TWO [Oct 8, 9, 10]
- Southbound I-25 will see a full closure at 9 a.m on Oct. 8, until 5 a.m. on Oct. 9, and again at 9 p.m. on Oct 9 until 6 a.m. on Oct 10.
- The closure will begin at Harmony Road and go to the Highway 392 exit.
- One northbound lane of I-25 will be closed as well from Highway 392 to Harmony Road.
- The detour will have travelers take Harmony east to Highway 257, then south to Highway 392 outside of Windsor, then west to the interstate.
After these two weekends, it will be weird to not see that bridge, but it will be back in the spring of 2022, after they widen I-25, which, of course, will cause more traveler headaches.